6/11/11

#6: 30 Day Blog Challenge-Your Views of Mainstream Music


I am disappointed in a lot of today's music.  I love old school R&B, hip-hop, and soul music.  I even love alternative music, 80's pop, country, jazz, etc.  I pretty much like everything except the O music: gO-gO,  emO, and technO.  That being said, I'm tired of music that isn't remotely artistic and is hyper-sexualized.  It's a struggle to find a song that doesn't refer to women as property or having the sole purpose of sexually satisfying or otherwise validating a man (whether it's a female artist making this assertion about herself or a male artist declaring this).  There's a big difference between Salt and Pepa's "I'll Take Your Man" and "Bottoms Up".  These days I listen to a lot of oldies because at least I won't need a shower after listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment