8/27/10

Southern Comfort-Keeping it soft and juicy

It has been hellaciously hot here in VA!  As much as I have roasted, I know my hair has suffered similarly.  While you don't have to worry about dryness in the summer as much as you do in the winter, you should still maintain a moisture regimen to encourage healthy strands.  My standard routine is to wash my hair once a week (every two weeks in the winter), load it up w/conditioner (right now I'm using Aussie Moist as my leave-in), and then seal w/an oil ( I'm using sweet almond oil since it is light and has a nice smell).  After styling, particularly for long-term styles, such as twists, I spray my hair with either a Dove Glossing mist that is basically Jheri Curl spray with a much better smell (water and glycerin are the main ingredients) or a homemade concoction of leftover bottled water (I hate to waste), a conditioner that won't dry flaky (ex: Yes to Cucumbers, Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight, or Aussie Moist), and a little oil (coconut oil, almond oil, vitamin E oil, etc.).  I make it so that the mixture is about 3-4 parts water, 1 part conditioner, 1/2 part oil.  For example, 3/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of conditioner, and 1/8 cup oil if the parts are 1/4 cups.  this is a great recipe to practice your mixtress skills on or to use up leftover bits of products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment